In this guide, you’ll learn:
What is Node JS and what is it used for?
What are the actual facts about Node JS (+ myths busted)?
Why Node JS is a solution for both startups and corporate organizations?
What are the best tools for developers?
How you can stay up to date with Node JS easily?
Facebook, Netflix, Uber, eBay – they all use Node JS. It seems like a proof of its efficiency, don’t you think?
But let’s investigate for ourselves. What is actually so great about Node Js development?
Want to dig deeper? Then read on.
Note: this article stands for an introduction to the whole handbook about Node we’re creating! Awesome, right? We’re also excited. You can read all the chapters here, by clicking on the navigation above, but if you’d like to be informed about the new content – sign up for updates above!
What is Node JS?
Simply speaking, Node is a lightweight, fast, and modern way to execute code on your computer.
What is Node JS used for?
Node JS can be used especially for:
- chat applications
- streaming applications
- command-line applications
- browser games
- embedded systems
Facts about Node JS development
Let’s take a look at four commonly spread myths about Node Js and then… bust them.
- Node JS is a framework.
- It relies only on Chrome V8 engine.
- Multi-threads are not supported.
- It’s hard to work with Node JS for beginners.
- It’s an open source and cross-platform system that allows for building web apps.
- Node JS supports multi-threads, provides asynchronous and event-driven APIs.
9 famous apps built with Node Js
Node JS is used by the biggest players:
Benefits of Node JS
Node JS allows for faster delivery and, that way, helps to test concepts. It does it by sharing model code and tests between the client and server, which leads to a significant efficiency for development team.
Plus, Node.js excels as a “framework” for applications that provide real-time experience or streaming (chats, transactions, reservations, advertising).
With Node JS it’s easier to make changes in the app. It happens smoother when the application model is based on Node.js’s event-driven model rather than a classic MVC.
Why the biggest companies from various industries choose Node?
Above reasons may seem more crucial for startups, but corporate organizations across the world are also choosing Node.js to build game-changing applications.
15 best tools for developers
That list may be a little subjective – those are the tools our developers use and love. But for the ones who are starting with Node JS – let’s just make your lives easier.
Tools you (or your team) may want to try with Node JS:
- Mocha.js – test framework for asynchronous testing both in console and in the browser
- Chai – a TDD and BDD assertion framework which can be paired with any chosen testing framework
- Passport.js – an authentication middleware for Node JS.
- Socket.io – a framework that allows for bi-directional real-time communication, based on events.
- BlueBird.js – a library that helps you to control asynchronous code.
- PM2 – a process manager.
- Electrode.io – a platform for building universal React/Node JS applications with standardized structure and best practices baked in.
- Meteor.js – a framework for rapid prototyping and writing cross-platform code.
- Vue.js – seems a great alternative for Angular.js.
Want to be up to date? 9 best Node JS newsletters
Node JS newsletters and resources not only allow developers to be up to date with changing trends and important topics, but also to learn something new.
Here is the list of our chosen most interesting ones:
- Node.js Foundation Newsletter
- Node Weekly
- FrontEnd Focus
- WebTools Weekly
- Mobile Dev Weekly
- Gamedev.js Weekly
- Pony Foo Weekly Node JS Newsletter
If you want to learn more about top implementations of Node JS, proceed to the next chapter.
Remember to sign for updates if you want to receive notification about new chapters.
This was an introduction to Handbook:
Node JS Development: All You Need to Know
More chapters are coming!
New content will land on this handbook soon.
Should we notify you?
More chapters are coming!Notify me